Though it may look modest, the Hallock & McMillan Building is a core part of Portland’s historical and architectural heritage. Built in 1857, this is the oldest commercial building in Portland and one of the city’s first brick and cast iron structures. The building was named for Portland’s first professional architect Absalom Hallock and his business partner, contractor William McMillan.
Bremik rebuilt the front façade brick-by-brick and reattached all decorative cast iron pieces to restore the building to its former glory. Bremik also brought Hallock & McMillan up to current seismic codes while managing to maintain the authentic, historical character. The restoration process was exacting, requiring all details be completely rebuilt based off drawings the architects recreated from archival photos. Hear more about what it took to restore this building’s architectural heritage here!